Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thanksgiving Sides - Creamy Corn and Chestnut Pudding

From the first Thanksgiving that Nerdy-Boy and I shared 10 years ago, I've been making the traditional green bean casserole because his mother told me it was one of his favorites.  I'm not a big fan and I really don't like cooking with canned soup products - gag me with a spoon.  But, I figger, he's such a good sport about trying new things, I can toss him this bean once a year.  Guess what -- last year when I mentioned "one of his favorites - green bean casserole" he looked at me like I had been smoking crack.  Now, it's no wonder that he often looks at me this way, but imagine my surprise when he did so in regards to green bean casserole.  Not one of his favorites, never has been and since I'm not making it again, never will be.

Instead, I'm going to be serving up this flavorful number.  As a child, corn pudding was my absolute must have for Thanksgiving.  My mother always made a special casserole just for the kids table.  The roasted chestnuts in this version make it right at home on the grown-up's table.  I found this recipe in the Nov 2008 edition of Bon Appetit and it was a big hit with our 14 guests last year.  Unlike the green bean casserole, there were no leftovers to feed the garbage monster a week later.

Up Next - an awesome alternative to pumpkin pie - Pumpkin Tiramisu.

Creamy Corn and Chestnut Pudding
6 Tbsps butter
1/2 c all-purpose flour
3 c half and half
5 c frozen corn kernals
1/4 finely chopped shallot
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I upped this to a full tsp to give it a little more flavor and kick)
1/2 tsp white pepper (ditto above)
1 7.25-oz to 7.41 jar whole steamed or roasted peeled chestnuts cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1/4 c chopped chives
6 large eggs

Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.  Add flour; whisk 1 minute.  Gradually whisk in half and half and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium; stir constantly until mixture thickens slightly, about 3 minutes.  Add corn and next 4 ingredients; simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors, stirring often.  Remove from heat; stir in chestnuts and chives.  To this point, this can be done 1 day ahead of time and stored, covered.  Bring to room temperature before continuing.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Butter 13x9x2 glass baking dish.  Whisk eggs 1 at a time into corn mixture.  Transfer to baking dish.  Bake until puffed and golden - approximately 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment