Sunday, September 5, 2010

Gettin' the freak on with rum, cherries and lime

There are a lot of things that I put in my mouth that I'm a freak for.  The flavors of lime, cherry and rum rank right at the top of that list.  So last week when I caught Giada making these on her show, I knew I was headed straight for the grocery and I was going to be getting my freak on that very night with these refreshing numbers.  I adapted her recipe to suit my tastes and the tastes of our guests - in other words - more rum, less fruit.   Remember - a drink course is mandatory at Chez Patton-Isenhour.




Blended Cherry Mojitos - adapted from a recipe from Giada De Laurentiis.
1/2 pound bag frozen pitted cherries
2 cups crushed ice
1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
1/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
1 1/2 cups of rum (Giada uses citrus flavored, I used dark rum)
1/2 cup Lime Simple syrup (recipe follows)
Lime wedges, mint leaves for garnish

Place the frozen cherries, crushed ice, mint leaves lime juice, rum and simple syrup in a blender.  Blend until smooth.

Pour mixture into chilled glasses and garnish.

Lime Simple Syrup
2 cups of sugar
1 cup of water
3 limes zested.

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes giving it a little stir every now and again.  Remove pan fromm heat and allow syrup to cool.  Strain before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment