Thursday, September 30, 2010

Fluffy Apple Pancakes w/Apple Cider Syrup

Some of you might remember about this time last year when I posted a recipe for Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce (If you missed it, go check it out -- it is so good!).  Well, it's October again and here in Central PA, apples and apple cider are everywhere.  And as much as I hate coring and peeling apples, I love cooking with them.  I don't particular like eating an apple on its own (good thing I wasn't responsible for the Original Sin), but, I do like finding a crunchy piece of tartness inside of my food.

My sister Diana and my brother-in-law Jeff stopped by for a quick visit on their way home to Kansas City from Annapolis last week.  Before their long journey home, I wanted to fill their bellies with a good warm breakfast.  I had some apple cider in the fridge from a Cider-Cheese Fondue that I had served at a party the previous Saturday night and some Granny Smith Apples as well.  Hmmm...fluffy apple pancakes!

Now, I always get a little intimidated by my big sister because she is such a fabulous cook. But, when she gives her thumbs up on a dish, I know it's worth sharing here. Jeff - not so much. He's like Nerdy-Boy - he'll eat just about anything.

Diana said as she was gobbling them up, "I didn't know I wanted pancakes.  Apparently I did."  Really - who wouldn't want fluffy apple pancakes?

Of course, Diana can make any dish that I make better.  She emailed me when she got home to tell me she was making this same recipe for house guests but, was cooking up some apples in a little Calvados, a French Apple Brandy to top them off.  Yes, in the Isenhour Clan we have been known to add a little sumthin' sumthin' to our food - even at breakfast time.

Fluffy Apple Pancakes w/Apple Cider Syrup

For the Pancakes - It's really the syrup that makes these pancakes to die for so I just use a box mix of pancakes (we keep Fiber One Complete Pancake Mix in our pantry - somehow I've convinced myself it really is better).  I substitute apple cider for the water, add 1/2 cup of chopped apples and a 1/2 cup of golden raisins.  Make sure that before you pour them on the griddle you give them a good stir so that some of the apples and raisins get in each of the pancakes.

Apple Cider Syrup
1 cup of apple cider
3 Tbsps of brown sugar
1 1/2 tsps of corn starch
2 tsps of lemon juice

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat.  Bring to a slow boil for 5 minutes.  Pour warm over pancakes.

1 comment:

  1. I'm actually not a huge fan of pancakes, but I love apple cider and that syrup would make eating pancakes totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete