Monday, October 5, 2009

Yes You Will Die for this Apple Cake w/Caramel Sauce

So I really, really love to cook. If I didn't, I would have nothing to write in this blog and I certainly never would have purchased a pink stove. However, there is one thing I don't like about cooking -- and that is peeling and cutting up apples. I don't mind peeling and cutting up potatoes or cucumbers, but for some reason, I just simply don't like peeling and cutting up apples. I have nothing against apples -- except when I have to peel and chop them for a recipe. One of these days I'm going to teach Nerdy-boy how to peel and chop apples. Really.


This recipe is such an exception. Seriously - it is so good that I would peel and chop a dozen apples just to find this morsely goodness at the end of my fork. Fortunately, (for me) the recipe only calls for five apples.

Up next - Pear/Amaretto Martinis!


Apple Cake w/Caramel Sauce
from Real Simple

1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter - room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
3 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch dice
2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups chopped pecans (optional - I don't use the pecans - nothing against pecans, I just don't really like anything to interfere with the flavor of the apples.)


NOTE: I used Red Delicious apples once when I made this recipe and while it was good, the tartness you get from the Granny Smiths makes a HUGE difference. Use Granny Smiths!

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare a 9"x13" baking pan. You can butter and flour it - I prefer cooking spray.

In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy - 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time.

In another bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to butter, sugar, egg mixture. The batter will be very thick. Stir in the apples and vanilla (and pecans if you are using them).

Pour batter into baking pan and bake until toothpick comes out clean - 50-55 minutes. Let cool and use fork to poke hole in top of cake. Pour on warm carmel sauce. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Caramel Sauce

4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
Pinch of kosher salt
1/2 cup heavy cream


In a saucepan over medium high heat melt butter. Add sugars and salt. Stir frequently for 2 minutes. Stir in the cream and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment