Sunday, October 18, 2009

Gooey Apple Caramel Corn


When I was in grammar school it was a tradition to bring treats to school on your birthday.  Each year on October 16th, my mother sent me off to school with Russell Stover's foil-wrapped, chocolate-covered marshmallow pumpkins.  You think that would have made any school girl happy.  I was a difficult child.  I was appalled by this store-bought treat.  I wanted gooey homemade caramel popcorn balls wrapped in colored cellophane - like the ones that Debbie M. (who shared my birthday) always showed up with.

Some 40-odd  (give or take) years later I finally understand what possessed my mother to cause me to die each and every year of embarassment on my birthday.   Even though I know my parents struggled to get by, they always wanted the best for their children - and Russell Stover's foil-wrapped, chocolate covered marshmallow pumpkins were the best.  I probably never told my mother this while she was alive so here goes.  Thanks, Mom - for everything you sacrificed so that my 4th grade class could indulge in Kansas City's finest chocolates.

This year on my birthday, Nerdy-Boy and I road-tripped with friends to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.  Clearly, a birthday treat for the 6-hour car ride was in order.  Only this time, I controlled my destiny - gooey popcorn would be mine!  I wonder if our friends would have preferred Russell Stover's foil-wrapped, chocolate-covered, marshmallow pumpkins?

Gooey Apple Caramel Popcorn
2 sticks butter
2 cups dark brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract

4 bags of microwave popcorn - popped
1 cup dried apples - chopped
1 cup of raisins
1 cup of peanuts

 Preheat oven to 200 degrees.  Line to large baking sheets with parchment paper.

Melt butter over medium high heat.  Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt.  Stir constantly bringing to a boil.  Let boil for 2 minutes without stirring.  Remove from heat and stir in baking soday and vanilla.  (This is really cool!)

Dump popcorn, dried apples, raisins and peanuts in a large brown paper bag.  Pour caramel over popcorn and shake to coat.

Spread popcorn mixture on baking sheets and place in oven.  Bake for 45 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool.  Break up any large chunks for serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment