Monday, October 12, 2009

Lavender Martinis


I'm not really sure why I grew lavender in my herb garden this year.  I really didn't know what I was going to do with it.  I think I'm at that age where I think I SHOULD grow lavender.  Next year I'm going to buy a straw hat with flowers on it to wear when I go out to clip herbs.

Regardless, I'm glad I did.  Because one night on my Facebook page, my sister Diana mentioned Lavender Martinis.  MARTINIS????  Caught my attention.  So I pulled a bottle of vodka out the liquor cabinet and followed big sister's instructions to clip a few sprigs of lavender and put it in the vodka, reseal and wait.  I'm not one for patience, but, after a week-10 days (you'll know when it's ready) the heavenly scent of this vodka told me these martinis were going to be a taste sensation. 

BTW - a few weeks ago, I noticed at my neighborhood state store (that's what we call liquor stores in PA) that there is now a commercial version of lavender vodka, so if you're not at the age to grow lavender, lavender vodka is available in the marketplace. 

I really enjoy the flavor of lavender.  I'm currently working on a lavender cake coupled with lemon.  But, I've had a few misadventures (good thing Nerdy-Boy will eat anything!) and that recipe is not ready to share yet.

Here are 2 recipes to use your lavender vodka - one inspired by Diana and one of my own creation.

Peach Lavender Martini
3 oz Lavender vodka
2 Tbsps peach puree (fresh or frozen peach pureed in the blender)
simple sugar

Pour all ingredients into a martini shaker.  Shake to blend and strain into a martini glass.  Garnish with peach.


Sunny Lavender Martini
3 oz lavender vodka
juice of 1/2 lemon
simple sugar

Pour all ingredients into a martini shaker.  Shake to blend and strain into a martini glass.  Garnish with lemon slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment