Saturday, October 10, 2009

Eggplant Extravaganza



I'm going to start off with a disclaimer - I'm not big fan of eggplant.  It's one of those vegetables that I won't go out of my way to purchase or order in a restaurant.  If one is put in front of me, I'll figure out something to do with it.  Our CSA (community supported agriculture) Cooperative put one in our delivery this week (again). 

Eggplant parmesan is no doubt a tasty dish - but frankly, mine never compares to the gooey deliciousness that my buddy T.J. creates annually for Italian Night on Bald Head Island.  So I figure, why bother.


I wanted to pair my eggplant with flavors that I REALLY love.  I recalled a dish I was served several years ago at a restaurant in DC that included goat cheese.  Is there anyone that doesn't love goat cheese?  (If so, there is something seriously wrong with you and you should seek immediate help.) I also love tomatoes and since our CSA has been very generous with tomotoes the past few weeks - I got to work and this is what I came up with.  Good and healthy - not bad for a vegetable that is probably underestimated by not only me - but others as well.  Of course, goat cheese makes anything better!

Next Up - Lavender Martinis - that's what I'm talking about - ingredients I love working with!

Eggplant, Tomato and Goat Cheese Stacks
1 eggplant - sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
3 Tbsps of balsamic vinegar
3 Tbsps of extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves of garlic - crushed
salt and pepper to taste

2 medium tomatoes sliced
1/2 cup goat cheese - crumbled
fresh basil leaves - chopped

Slice the eggplant and place on paper towels.  Salt and let sit for at least 30 minutes.  This pulls the water and the bitterness out of the eggplant.

In the meantime, prepare marinade by mixing the balsamic vinegar, olive oil and garlic in a bowl.  Salt and pepper to your liking.  Pat and dry the eggplant with a paper towel.  Cover and marinate the eggplant for at least 30 minutes (the longer the better!)

Grill each side of the eggplant on a medium hot skillet for approximately 5 minutes.

Place eggplant in a baking dish and top with a slice of tomato, goat cheese and basil leaves.  Finish in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese is soft and just starting to melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment