Saturday, October 10, 2009

Community Supported Agriculture

This is a shout-out to Coummunity Supported Agriculture (CSA).  I mentioned our CSA in my Eggplant, Tomato and Goat Cheese post. 

If you are not familiar with CSAs, you can learn about them here.   http://www.spiralpathfarm.com/.  This is the web site of the one that Nerdy-Boy and I joined this year with our friend Mia.  We split a medium share between the three of us.

My sister and her husband joined a CSA in KC several years ago - at the time I thought it was kind of a hippie thing to do - but, whatever.  Not surprising, the big sister is always one step ahead of the rest of the world.  Each week we get a basketful of fresh, flavorful vegetables grown by a local family farm delivered (yes I said delivered!) just a few blocks from our house.   Less obvious than the socially responsible and healthful reasons for joining the CSA, it has also challenged my culinary skills (i.e. creative ways to use eggplant and a gazillion peppers and tomatoes) It's been a money-saver and I have not been so wasteful with purchasing a lot of so-so produce at the grocery that I never get around to preparing.  Good for them, good for us and good for the environment.

In another universe, I'd be an earth woman, planting a bountiful harvest each year.  But, if Nerdy-Boy had to depend on me to grow our food, he would be back to eating a loaf of Wonder bread for dinner.  We'll be joining the CSA again next year - you should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment